Following is a comprehensive list of all general game rules not already listed on individual cards, along with special cards that are only used for specific circumstances:
- Each Player chooses a “Hero” card to be their Character for the duration of the game. (This may be done through choosing one’s favorite, or by a random draw.)
- Each Player receives the Item cards stipulated by their Hero card, after which the Item cards are shuffled into their own separate deck.
- All Characters are placed on the “Le Mort” Special Card to begin play.
- Play begins with the youngest player, and then proceeds clockwise.
Player has 30s to announce ONE of the following to perform on their turn:
- Draw and place a Location Card.
- Move their Character to an adjacent Location Card, if the move is legal and plausible.
- Describe an Action for their Character to perform.
- Put an Item or from their hand into play, and/or put an Item Card from play back into their hand.
- Place an Item or Plot Card from their hand to the bottom of its respective deck, then draw another.
Placing New Locations:
- After drawing the top card of the Location deck, Active Player places it as desired against the current map. (The new card must share a side with an already-placed card, and the placement must be plausible.)
- Player reads the on-card description to the playing group.
- Active Player rolls a colored dice for possible Encounter, Item, and Plot card draws. If each dice’s results match those listed, draw a corresponding card.
- Player places Item and Plot cards in his hand. Encounter cards, on the other hand, are automatically placed face-up on the table and resolved.
- Active Player describes to the group what his Character plans to do on that turn, and along with intended consequences.
- Other players voice any objections or desired clarifications. If more than half of the players object to the plausibility of the action, then it is vetoed. (Tiebreakers are decided by the player who owns or brought the game.)
- Actions automatically succeed, unless the Player is attempting to influence something beyond their reach, or an active entity (such as an opponent in an Encounter or a fellow Player).If the Action will not automatically succeed, then:
- Active Player rolls a six-sided dice, adding any bonuses they may have received from Item Cards, etc. The Player next in turn order rolls against them.
- If the Active Player is using an Item Card in a fashion different than any of its described bonuses, they may reroll their dice once this turn. (They must keep the second result.)
- Active Player only succeeds if their total is GREATER than the opposing total.
- If the Active Player rolls a 1, any Item Card they used in their Action breaks at the end of their turn.
Click to Expand
- La Maison Dieu
If all Location Cards for the Cemetery level have been played, then at the beginning of each Player’s turn, draw and play an Encounter. Place each Encounter on an empty Location Card as far from all Player Characters as possible. If there are no Encounter cards left in the deck, shuffle and use their discard pile. If the Encounter involves an Entity, the Entity acts first before the Player on that turn. Continue doing this until: a) all Location Cards have an Encounter on them, b) all Players move to the Catacombs, or c) all Players are dead.